Sunday, March 7, 2010

vSphere on dell optiplex 760, Not enough memory to load vmkernel

vSphere required minimum 2GB of memory ti install. I had a dell optiplex 760 with 2GB installed. While installing vSphere the installer stops and throws errors like
" vmnix...
 there is not enough memory to load vmkernel. 2040384 KB of RAM
was detected. We require at least 2064384 KB of RAM to boot.
Aborting boot "

I swapped 1GB from other server and installed the vphere. Once the installation is completed you can edit the memory required meory value to desired value.

1) Login to the esx server through console or via putty and edit the below file

# vi /etc/vmware/init/init.d/00.vmnix

2) Find the below line and edit with required value

RequiredMemory=2064384

3) Shutdown the server and remove the extra 1gb memory added and boot the esx host

I'm yet to try on ESXi host. This is my test environment to study vSphere. I'm not sure about any other workaround.

No comments:

Post a Comment